Twelve spellers have advanced from the Kansas City Public Library-Plaza Branch Division Bee to the Jackson-Clay County Championship Spelling Bee. The championship bee is the last round before competing in the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
Forty-eight spellers competed in the Kansas City Public Library-Plaza Branch Division Bee. Students who were still in competition at the end of multiple rounds of competition advanced on. The spellers moving on the Jackson-Clay County Championship Spelling Bee are:
- Saketh Balmoori- 6th Grader at Barstow School
- Thomas Rowell- 8th Grader at Frontier School of Excellence
- Kush Sharma- 8th Grader at Frontier School of Innovation
- Will Little- 6th Grader at Hazel Grove Elementary School
- Sophia Hoffman- 6th Grader at Highland Park Elementary School
- Luckee Vean- 6th Grader at J.A. Rogers Elementary School
- Lucas Eggers- 5th Grader at Longview Farm Elementary School
- Elizabeth Puthumana- 8th Grader at St. Thomas More School
- Thomas Brauner- 7th Grader at St. Vincent De Paul Academy
- Leisana Rector- 5th Grader at Sunset Valley Elementary School
- Jonathan Fraser- 8th Grader at The Daniel Academy
- Jordan Threat- 4th Grader at Whitefield Academy
The championship spelling bee will be held Saturday, February 28. Mid-Continent Public Library will hold its division bees Saturday February 21 at the Midwest Genealogy Center and Woodneath Library Center. Students advancing from each bee will compete in the Jackson-Clay County Championship Spelling Bee.
Download the program to view all spellers.
Congratulations to all participants!